Saturday, June 21, 2008

Day One


Wow, what a long day. We started at 5:15 am, even though it was close to 6am when we got out on the road. After a quick detour to Ridgecrest to pickup Lily, and breakfast at McDonalds in Canton, we were on our way. Traffic was remarkably light all the way. I guess with gas prices so high, we're the only crazy people out on the road (even though Sarah has already saw license plates from 38 states.

My Tom Tom has already saved us once. We were going into Nashville on I40, and got in a huge traffic jam (traffic was stopped). I told it that there was a road block a mile ahead and it successfully routed us around. We even got to go by the Grand Ol' Opry on our detour. We stoped for a picnic lunch and a gas fillup shortly there after (averaged 26mpg on our first tank). Gas was $3.89.

Everyone was tired when we finally made it to St. Louis. We went to the arch, and after passing all of the sevurity, was able to get to the top. It was amazing seeing the mighty Mississippi out of its banks from the top of the arch. We even saw a tugboat trying to go upstream; it seemed to stugle against the current.

By the time we got done at the arch, we were exhausted, so we found an Applebee's then a Super 8 motel in St. Charles, MO. the accomidations are good, but there was only a smoking room for me. I am tired, so I decided we should go ahead and get it.

That's all for now, I'll try to write again tomorrow. I have pictures, but a slow internet connection, so I'll try to upload tomorrow.

J

1 comment:

RONNIE REID said...

Sounds like you are making good time and getting good gas mileage. Tell everyone hellow, congratulate Sarah on getting so many car lcense tags on the first day.

Dad